Reggie woke me up at 5:00 A.M. needing to go out. This was the first time since last Monday's crash that he did this. And, he was straining to have a bowel movement, which was a sign of problems last week. This made me nervous heading into his 10:00 A.M. vet appointment. Reggie is also not eating his regular dog food.
The vets did several blood tests and a biopsy on the lump on his chest/shoulder area. All his blood counts are better, and some are even within normal ranges, but a few are still high. Not high like they were last week…one count was over 6,000 and should have been below 1,800…but still too high. All good news. Also, the lump is a fatty deposit and benign, so nothing to worry about. Because Reggie had bowel problems and isn't eating properly, they switched him to canned food, which I am disappointed, but resigned, about. He's been eating better today.
Monday and Tuesday of this week Reggie's energy levels had been increasing and he'd been very cheerful and sweet. Today, Reggie has slept and been devoid of energy.
So, mostly good news, with some concerns mixed in. But as the vet pointed out, last week Reggie almost died…he's definitely improved since then!
Oh, the vets decided to be cautious and gave me another week's worth of anti-biotics for Reggie. Reggie's pills are a little mind-boggling at the moment:
- Two drugs Reggie takes the whole pill.
- One drug he takes 3/4 of the pill.
- Two drugs he takes half a pill.
- One drug he takes 1/4 of the pill.
- Two of the drugs I have to cut.
- Two of the drugs the vets cut for me.
- One drug Reggie only takes at night.
- One drug Reggie only takes in the morning.
- One drug has to be taken about 20 minutes after the others or he'll vomit.
How many drugs does Reggie take? Just kidding, this isn't a math test.